Jim Folkestad has been actively practicing law in Douglas County for nearly 40 years. Starting as a general practitioner and deputy district attorney, his practice for the past several decades has been concentrated in the field of real estate matters with a particular specialization in land use matters in Douglas, Elbert and Arapahoe Counties, including subdivision and zoning, and municipal annexation.
Mr. Folkestad also practices in the area of general special district representation, including formation, inclusion into and exclusion from special districts, including, but not limited to, metropolitan districts andwater and sanitation districts and fire protection districts. He has provided general representation for municipalities, including formation of new municipalities.
As an active community participant, he has been deeply involved in the civic and governmental affairs of the Town of Castle Rock, and Douglas County. He brings this wealth of practical experience into the resolution of complex governmental issues.
Mr. Folkestad is past president of the Douglas-Elbert County Bar Association, has served as a Deputy District Attorney for the Eighteen Judicial District, Town Attorney for Larkspur and Monument, Colorado, and Chairman of the First Town of Castle Rock Charter Commission. He currently serves as co-chair of the Castle Rock Economic Development Council and as a representative from the Council to the Douglas County Business Alliance comprised of major business organizations throughout the county, representing the interests of the Douglas County business community at the State level. He is general counsel to numerous statutory special districts including: Denver Southeast Suburban Water and Sanitation District, OmniPark Metropolitan District and Plum Creek Metropolitan District.
Mr. Folkestad has achieved the highest-possible ranking in the Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating system: AV-Preeminent Lawyer.
- Westminster College (B.A., 1965)
- University of Utah (J.D., 1968)
- Colorado Bar Association Certificate of Professionalism
- State of Colorado Governors Award for Contributions to Smart Growth and Development
- Co-Chair Castle Rock Economic Development Council
- Member, Douglas County Business Alliance
- Member, Governmental Issues Committee of the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Town of Castle Rock Community Leadership Group
- U.S. District Court, Colorado
- Douglas-Elbert County Bar Association (Charter Member, President 1980-1981)
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association